Binge Eating Disorder (B.E.D.) is the most commoneating disorder in the US, affecting more than 8 million people. In our previous post, we mentioned “What’s Binge Eating Disorder and why is it different” some information about the disorder as well as ways to identify symptoms.
Today we will try to elaborate on ways to treat B.E.D. Due to the nature of Binge Eating Disorder, where the individual keeps eating not because of the survival instinct of hunger but for other reasons, the proposed treatments are psychological / psychiatric, since the cause of the disorder lies within the individual.
Nowadays, there are three recommended methods of treatment to tackle B.E.D. Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT), Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT), all three of which will be done with a healthcare professional.
Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT)
This type of therapy focuses on the relationships of the individual with family members, friends and the working environment. It identifies any relationship problems or limited communications skills and tries to alter the individual’s interpersonal behavior. This is the way to treat the form of B.E.D. which is caused, for example, by unresolved grief or interpersonal deficits.
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
This therapy will help individuals understand their behavior and the thoughts, beliefs, feelings and values that cause it. Subsequently, triggers of binge eating can be found and controlled or regulated. CBT is a very successful way of treating B.E.D.
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT)
DBT uses proactive ways to provide/teach the individual skills which help with stress management and the regulation of emotions. This way, individuals with a track record of extreme behavior can learn different ways of approaching emotional circumstances which could have led them, in the past, to binge eating.
Apart from the aforementioned ways of treating B.E.D., which require the help of a professional, there are some small everyday tips which can help you to kickstart the process yourself. These tips can be summarized into what is known as “mindful eating“, which means that you should eat with intention and whilst eating you should pay attention.
Tips which will help you with your eating disorder
- Stop all other distractions, such as watching TV, reading, or busying yourself with your phone or computer. When you eat, your mind and body should be focusing on eating.
- Make small pauses whilst eating. If you find this difficult, make at least one significant pause in the middle of your meal.
- Before starting to eat, ask yourself three questions: Am I hungry? Why this food? Why right now? Answer these questions and continue with your meal without any guilt.
- Take your time while eating to look at, smell and taste your food. It is important for your thought process.
- Try to smile between bites. This gives your body the right message of being happy with what you are doing.
If you suspect that you might have Binge Eating Disorder answer to the form below and contact us sooner rather than later – it might change your life!
[contact-form-7 id=”2048″ title=”Binge Eating Post”]